Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:01:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        isp-tech@isp-tech.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache Hacking and Apparent Spoofing Problem

 Greetings all
 I have an 2 apache related questions.

Q1) The first one is that I have a customer whos server was/is getting hundreds
of lines like: www.joelpass.com -> /oops.html in the referer log. the ooops page
means they entered a bad passwd for entrance to the pay x-rated site on the
server. All of this seems somewhat normal except the lack of httpd:// and the
fact that there is no such domain as  joelpass.com.
 So how is someone doing this? IE how do they get referer to show this fake ID?
 I thought it was dns based. DNS poisoning? They don't use their own dns, they
use a major internet providors dns.

EX:
http://start.at/mega -> /~mega
http://www.sterndevelopments.com/rankem/index.html -> /DGC.html
http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=hardcore -> /index.html
http://start.at/mega -> /~mega/index.html
http://profiles.yahoo.com/solacedenied_joel -> /index.html
www.joelpass.com -> /oops.html
www.joelpass.com -> /oops.html

Q2)  It seems that there is a website that is hacking into pay X-Rated sites
and providing free access to them via a click through on their system and they
are the ones responsible for the above. They seem to be offshore and their
clickthrough refering sites seem to come from all over. Is there anyway to stop
them? ( I like porn, but I also work for several pay sites that are getting hit
pretty hard by these asses. their password guessing has created huge bandwidth
spikes and if they guess one the site instantly becomes swamped)

 Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

   Nicole

 nicole@unixgirl.com         |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.unixgirl.com/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o  |__  ) )  http://www.dangermouse.org/