Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:55:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dwight Tuinstra <tuinstra@clarkson.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On 03-Apr-00 Dwight Tuinstra wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Probably a note in the make world tutorial about make world not being useful
>> for branch upgrades would help, however.  If people knew that they needed to
>> wait for different instructions for the branch upgrades, then people would
>> (hopefully) wait for the finalized set of instructions to filter out of the
>> mailing lists and into web sites and what not.
>
> One way to ensure that people consulted appropriate documentation
> (or even just the appropriate caveats) is the simple expedient
> of having the Makefile print a message. Anyone trying to do
> "make world" upgrade receives a warning, and a pointer to where
> to look.  There are precedents for this: when rebuilding the
> kernel, one is reminded to do a "make depend".  A number of
> ports (notably the crypto stuff) even require you to define
> a variable before they'll compile (though that would be a little
> too much for this situation).

You could probably do this with a uname -r check.  It does get a bit
trickier though.  For example, in the 3.x -> 4.0 upgrade, you still
do a make world sort of, at least you do buildworld and installworld,
so then you'd have to somehow be able to differentiate between then
the buildworld is ok and when it is not.  You could probably wrap this
in an upgrade target that sets a variable or some such.  Then we could
continue the "tradition" of the 2.2.x -> 3.x upgrade of using 'make
upgrade', which would certainly help with POLA.

> I'm not saying this should be done for everything, but it does
> make sense for builds with potentially severe consequences if
> done wrong.

I'll see what I can come up with and try to get it into the tree.

> BTW, John, thanks for trying to bring some civility and reason
> back to this thread.

Heh, just trying to defuse it a little.  I much prefer to see happy
users than unhappy ones. :)