Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:39:17 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Installation instructions for Firefox somewhere?

That is 1000% better as far as troubleshooting goes, you need to file
a PR on this.

> > Secondly, you don't know how NT setup the disks and such on your
> > system.  It is quite possible that the NT driver saw the mismatch
> > and simply reprogrammed the SCSI adapter card to limit both disks
> > to 10Mbt transfers.  Or possibly the NT driver decided not to send
> > writes to both disks at the same time.  So, comparisons like "it
> > worked with NT so the hardware must be good" are almost useless.
>
> So how do I configure FreeBSD to do the same thing?  If NT can do it in
> software, so can FreeBSD.

The Adaptec driver gets the setting out of the SCS adapters setting that
are written into it's eeprom.  You know the Press f6 message you get
on boot, that lets you into the Adaptec BIOS?  Change it there and the
driver will pick up the change.

> > But the most important thing, and I think why your having so much
> > trouble here, is that you are trying to approach this problem
> > as though you paid $9,000 for this server, yesterday.
>
> I don't believe in throwing computers away just because they are a few
> years old.

I don't either but the world does and it is difficult to interest people
in support of gear that is 8 years old.  Hardware manufacturers in
particular
have a vested interest in helping you to write drivers for their brand
new gear so they can sell it, and a vested interest in not helpiing you
resurrect old gear that might steal sales away from new gear.

> So what is the difference between yours and mine?

FreeBSD 4.11 instead of 5.3 is a big one.  Also I am using a card, my
controller isn't on the motherboard.  Also I only have 1 disk drive -
although as you will note I have a SCSI cd and burner on the same bus.
And my disk drive is a Micrapolis not a Seagate or Quantum.

> But this is a stable system.  The hardware _does_ work.  I didn't put
> this together out of scrap parts.  It has run perfectly for
> eight years;
> I think I can safely say that it's pretty well broken in by now.  So
> when I switch from Windows to FreeBSD and it stops working, I know it's
> not hardware.

As long as you don't accept the fact that Windows drivers can and do
write around hardware kludges, and FreeBSD drivers may not have all the
same written-around kludges as the Windows ones do, your going to get
nowhere.

> I'll consider it.  The waste of time has been mutual.

If you don't take our advice here on the forum, it is a waste.  Try
limiting the sync negotiation to 10MB on the Quantum and see what
happens.

Ted