Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:18:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape on 3.3-RELEASE

In article <XFMail.991005192701.andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM> you write:
>On 05-Oct-99 Anand Ranganathan wrote:
>> I installed the netscape46-navigator port. I get the following error
>> when I try to start it:
>> 123 wooster:~> /usr/local/bin/netscape
>> /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: minor version -1
>> older than expected 0, using it anyway
>> ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"
>> 124 wooster:~>
>
>The netscape port needs to use the aout version of libXt.so.6 - which is in
>/usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXt.so.6. How to get it to do that, I don't know. Sorry.

Just make sure you have the right ldconfig_paths_aout in rc.conf
(the default in /etc/defaults/rc.conf is usually ok), you can
check with `ldconfig -aout -r | grep libXt.so', it should find it
in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout.  If aout executables then still try to link
elf libs you probably have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, that overrides the
ldconfig settings regardless of the executables binary format...

 (btw i just noticed there seems to be a manpage for ld.so but none
for ld-elf.so?)

 HTH,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>