Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 07:50:55 -0400
From:      admin@mail.multinet.net (graydon hoare)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ethernets are supposed to work, right?

Hi -- I recently posted that I was having trouble getting the network
install done, it seems to be a problem in the driver of some sort, I've
eliminated the possibility of my router or segment being the problem, but I
just cannot believe that FreeBSD's support is so lousy for ethernet cards --
I've tried 5 cards so far, of which only 1 is even recognized by the
install/probe boot disk, and it still failes to initialize the device. These
are standard ethernet cards -- intel etherpros, SMCs etc. I must be doing
something wrong. Did anyone meet with some serious head-smacking when
configuring ethernet cards, anyone who might share a little secret here?

The machine is a genuineintel IBM PS/Valuepoint 486/dx2-50 (I can hear you
groaning) with 32mb and an adaptec SCSI controller with 2 units, 1GB seagate
drive and a sony CDROM (the local store is all out of the walnut creek CDs,
hence the network install). It's all quite "normal" hardware, shouldn't be
having any trouble at all.

thanks for any input.