Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:37:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on devd?

On 26-Nov-01 Peter Wemm wrote:
> Matthew Jacob wrote:
>> I'm curious what you think a devd is now needed for.
>
> As a common place to hook in "device related" trigger events.  Currently
> pccardd (on OLDCARD) performs two functions.. It drives the bus scan and
> driver assignment, and secondly it runs userland programs in response to
> device events (insert/remove).  usbd used to do the same thing, but now
> it is solely an optional userland event trigger.  NEWCARD does not
> have this functionality anywhere.  Insert a card and a network interface
> appears.. and thats it.   There is no place to add (for example) a dhclient
> event.
>
> devd would be a general purpose replacement for usbd and the trigger part
> of pccardd, and provide the functionality to newcard.
>
> It would also be a place where a program could be called to respond to new
> nodes appearing in /dev for adjusting any permissions needed according
> to some sort of template system or something.  (But it would be a mistake
> to mix the two things up at this point, as the permissions setter is prime
> bikeshed material.  IMHO, provide the hooks first, then once we have the
> framework, then revisit the permissions).

At BSDCon, the discussion seemed to reflect that we actually have two devds.

- devd - Handles device events including insertion/deletion, etc.  This would
  not only handle removable devices like pccard and USB, but "static" devices
  like ethernet adapters, etc.  This allows one to centralize device
  configuration for all devices.
- devfsd - Manages devfs.  This includes permissions, permission policies, etc.

Warner was originally going to have funded time to spend on devd, but that is
now looking like less of a reality.