Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:35:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ken Wills <kenwills@yahoo.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Anand Ranganathan <anand@blandings.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: netscape on 3.3-RELEASE

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Will Andrews wrote:

> On 05-Oct-99 Anand Ranganathan wrote:
> > I installed the netscape46-navigator port. I get the following error
> > when I try to start it:
> > 123 wooster:~> /usr/local/bin/netscape
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: minor version -1
> > older than expected 0, using it anyway
> > ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"
> > 124 wooster:~>
>
> The netscape port needs to use the aout version of libXt.so.6 - which is in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXt.so.6. How to get it to do that, I don't know. Sorry.

You need X built with aout support (the port asks if you want it) and
the prebuilt -RELEASE version ships (AFAIK) with it. You'll probably
need to recompile X from ports and answer 'Yes' at the relevant point....

One alternative is to install linux_base (in ports) and run linux
netscape. You'll probably run in to this elsewhere before too long
though, so I'd recommend rebuilding X.

There may be compatability libs that contain these files somewhere,
you could check into that also.

Ken