Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 05:39:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, itojun@itojun.org, core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new config

> >> In article <199806090414.VAA00467@antipodes.cdrom.com>,
> 	Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
>
> > Newconfig imposes very strict hierarchical structure on the system, and
> > whilst well-geared towards a static configuration, is much less well
> > suited to dynamic operation (my evaluation only).  Bearing in mind that
> > it has been at least a year since I had anything to do with newconfig,
> > I'd be interested in more clarification.
>
>   Please tell me your definition of "static/dynamic configuration" in
> this context.
>
> My understanding:
>
> 	static configuration -> to give parameters in compile time
> 	dynamic configuration -> to give parameters in boot time
>
> Is this correct?

Close.

Static configuration bases everything on resources incorporated at
compile time, yes.

Dynamic configuration uses resources available at run time; not just
user input before/during the boot process.  In the context above, the
key features of a "dynamic" approach include:

 - The ability to create/delete new instances of a driver.
 - The ability to create/delete new instances of a bus.
 - The ability to retain parametric hints for unknown driver
   instances.
 - The ability to obtain and manage resource information.
 - The ability to load/unload code supporting new devices/busses.