Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:07:54 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain-gateway.iafrica.com>
To:        Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure remote backup

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Bradley Dunn wrote:

>Does anyone know of a secure remote backup solution for FreeBSD? By secure
>I mean encryption of the data stream and strong host authentication (a la
>SSH).

How about something like
tar -czf - /directory_that_you_want_to_tar | ssh dd of=/dev/nrst0

Of course, the user that you're doing it as (prob. root) must
be in the other machines authorized_keys/shosts file,
and the remote user must have write access to /dev/nrst0

We did this for a 3.2 gig drive, and it took a couple of hours
(across a pretty quiet network).

---
Khetan Gajjar                               | khetan@os.org.za
www.freebsd.os.org.za/~khetan/              | khetan@iafrica.com