Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:18:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        "Ross Potts, CON, EDS/D-SIDDOMS" <rpotts@med.osd.mil>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printers

ghostscript is about the only tool that converts from postscript to
anything proprietary. Pull down one of the latest version and see what
it supports.

An Epson Stylus Pro XL+ delivers good performance (with Sparc IPX doin
the conversion) and reasonable output.

A native postscript printer is better of course, as is a decent
networked printer. In the networked ones, try QMS. HP I wouldn't because
they seem to have trouble getting the basic system right, as in if you
see text print it as text instead of locking up soldily (once in a
while).

 > > I'm looking to buy a printer and was wondering what some of the better color
 > > printers were that are compatible to FreeBSD and windows?
 > >

 > Get a postscript color printer.  I have a several Tektronix color printers.
 > They are all networked and have Postscript Level 2 built-in.  They work
 > great with all my apps. under both FreeBSD and Windows.  In fact I
 > have Samba(MS file and print sharing) services running under FreeBSD
 > and have the printers shared to my Win95 machines.
 >
 > Randal Masutani

building: 27A
address:  STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy
tel.:     +39 332 78 9549
fax.:     +39 332 78 9185