Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2008 06:55:28 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Vinny <vinny-mail-01+f.questions20080309@palaceofretention.ca>
Subject:   Re: How did references to libc.so.7 get in my 6.3 ports?

--------------enig13FE3DF99F946E8C7366A034

E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:49:42 -0400
> Vinny <vinny-mail-01+f.questions20080309@palaceofretention.ca> wrote:
>=20
>> E. J. Cerejo wrote:

>> [snip]
>>

>>> You updated the port that put libc.so.6 in your system, you need to
>>> find out which port it came from and then find out which which ports
>>> depend on it and rebuild them also and then the problem will be
>>> fixed.  I use /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdadminscripts which tells me
>>> exactly which ports need to be rebuilt.
>>
>> Hi E. J.,
>>
>> Is it true that a port put libc.so.6 in my system?
>> I thought it was part of the base system (i.e. the world as in
>> buildworld).
>>
>> I'm a bit (more) confused now.

libc.so.6 is part of the base system.

> Then you're running FreeBSD 6.x and you updated your ports tree after
> FreeBSD 7.0 release.  The latest ports tree no longer supports 6.x I
> believe. So you should upgrade to 7 release or stable.

Utter twaddle.  The ports tree certainly does still support 6.x.

To the OP: yes, your initial thought that libc.so.6 comes with
RELENG_6_X and libc.so.7 is part of anything RELENG_7_X -- that is
completely correct.

If you're running a 6.x machine, then nothing should be linking against
libc.so.7 -- that sort of forward compatibility is not possible.  (Unlike=

the inverse case, where you can have applications linked against a 6.x
world running under 7.x).

I suspect that what has happened is that you've inadvertently installed
packages compiled for release 7.0 on a 6.3 system -- which as you've foun=
d,
does not work.  This is a problem that can *only* occur with pre-compiled=

packages.  If you build the software out of ports directly on your 6.3
machines, it will automatically have the correct linkage to libc.so.6. =20

Note that you may need to rebuild applications further up the dependency
tree than just the particular one you pointed out: shlibs and loadable
modules can depend on other shlibs in as arbitrarily complex a fashion as=

you can imagine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20