Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:21:34 -0500
From:      John Soward <soward@uky.edu>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using loopback mounts...

jason andrade wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Brian Poole wrote:
>

>> Drives are extraordinarily cheap, even for the high quality ones, compared
>> to skilled labor (which I assume you consider yourself ;).
>

> however, the powers that be figure i'm a renewable infinite resource but
> they are reluctant to chop down more Fibre Trees to get more drives :-)

Seems like using Fibre-connect drives for an FTP mirror isn't a good
choice. Recent IDE drives are extremely economical, quite fast and
fairly reliable, and cheap RAID cards (like the 3ware) abound.  $3K US
should build you a mirror big enough for FreeBSD and then some, $4K and
it's redundant.

>> Hmm, this doesn't make sense. Your traffic costs 100$/gig, but you aren't
>> affecting your traffic by mounting the ISOs as loopback. All you are
>> affecting is the usage of disk drives, by saving 650 odd MB per ISO
>> because you don't need have duplicate files. When you have to do this
>

> no.. i loopback mount an ISO, copy the data out to the place it should be
> and then rsync over the top to fix any oddities. then i unmount the ISO
> image.
>
> per ISO, this saves about 650M of downloaded traffic.  for a distro like
> redhat, that can be 3G.  for freebsd, less so.

This does make sense if your traffic costs $100/gig, but here in the US
that's simply not the case! Sounds like there are some satelite data
delivery business opportunities down under.
I do expect DVD delivery to arrive by the end of the year, and it may be
worth the trouble then, it's certainly a neat idea.

--
John Soward
Lead Systems Programmer, Technical Services, University of Kentucky