Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:02:07 +0000
From:      Olivier Duchateau <olivierd@freebsd.org>
To:        phryk <phryk@commander1024.de>
Cc:        xfce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Midori port and webkit2 (fucks up ALL THE THINGS)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 13:09:49 +0100
phryk <phryk@commander1024.de> wrote:

> Dear fellow simian being,
>
> After headaches, talking to the midori developers, recompiling midori
> to use gtk3, way more headaches (broken rendering, extensions, other
> wonky behavior) and finally a good amount of more talking to the
> midori devs, we finally noticed that the port automatically chooses
> to use webkit2 for midori if a certain file (webkit2gtk-3.0.pc) exists.
> I think this means that midori will automatically be build with webkit2,
> if one chooses to build it with gtk3 support, but I'm not exactly sure
> about that.
>
> According to the midori devs, webkit2 support is still highly
> experimental, and webkit1 should currently be the default.
>
> So if you'd add an option to the port that allows one to choose
> which webkit version to use for midori, I'd be really grateful.

Hi,

Firstly, the latest release of Midori was published before GNOME3 import in ports tree, then webkit2 support (it was optional) was only in www/webkit-gtk3 port (now there's www/webkit2-gtk3), that's why in Midori's Makefile we test if WebKit2 API is supported.

At that time webkit-gtk3 was not in good shape (with and without WebKit2 support), increase CPU, badly rendering,  etc.

As there's no new version, Midori's Makefile was not modified.

Gtk3 will be default toolkit, when Midori will be entirely ported to Vala, and it's not finished yet.
Otherwise some extensions (and even external application, like steadyflow) are not compatible with Gtk3, so it's better to stay with default option :)

Regards