Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 01:45:27 +0000
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > I would consider the predictive part interesting...If you know you will
> > die betrayed and you will go to hell, but you can't avoid it...why
> > should you want to know in the first place?
>
> I wouldn't - but that isn't the level of prediction I'm talking about
> :-)

Sorry, this wnet out wrong..the predictive part is NOT interesting. By
definition if you can avoid something from happening you can't predict
it.
Sciece can only explain trivial things. Those things that are really
important (love, human well being, war, etc...) are always unexplained
from a scientific point of view.

> The belief in God is likely to go outside proof - He can't be
> disproved, but it seems unlikely that He will be proved anytime soon
> :-)

There's an easy way to be convinced of the existance of God (at a
personal level, of course). Get yourself possesed and visit an exorcist
:-).
Seriously speaking, those things happen, and doctors can't really
explain them.

> ... which leaves us with the existence of God and mass psychosis being
> equally likely from the evidence of our senses, and mass psychosis
> explaining MORE, as it include all religions ;-)

The division between science, witchcraft and religion started becoming
clear only with Galileo. All seems to show that Galileo believed in God,
but not in the Church. IMO that's much the essence of the modern
conception.

cheers,

	Pedro.

(Why does Jordan's rants always end up in heated irrelevant discussions
? :-) )