Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:53:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        Sam Magee <webadmin@adsight.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting Up Web Hosting

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Chris Dillon wrote:

> Sam Magee wrote:
> >
> > > I'm considering setting up a web hosting only (no dial-up) service. Probably
> > > with a 56K or 64k line to start.
> > >
> > > For equipment, I think I need the following:
> > >
> > >         CSU/DSU
> > >         Router
> > >         Hub
> >
> > If you start with a 56K line, you'll have to throw out the CSU/DSU
> > and router when you upgrade to a faster line.  Consider a 256K
> > frac T1 to start.
>
> Even if you buy a router like Cisco's lowest-end 1005 you would not have
> to throw it out when you got a T1. Also, some CSU/DSU's are capable of
> handling anything from 56k to a T1 with no trouble.  Any CSU/DSU capable
> of handling a Frac T1 should be able to handle 64k to start with just
> fine.  That may be the best route to go, since 256k may be a bit hard on
> the pocketbook to start with.

I think the main point is that to upgrade from 256K to T1 is cheaper than
to upgrade from 56K/64k to T1 as the actual line is both presented
differently and carried over a different medium.

Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342
T: +44 (0) 117 973 0597    F: +44 (0) 117 923 8522