Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:43:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Soren Kristensen wrote:

> I do have some limited funds avaliable, and have decided to go
> ahead and start the first production series this week. I will post
> again when I know when I can deliver and what the prices will be.
> And due to the economic downturn, parts avaliability have improved
> the last couple of months :-) so expect 5-7 weeks from now.
>
> But I would still be happy for prepaid orders, as that would
> enable me to make more boards at a lower cost. To encourage that,
> I will offer a discount for prepaid orders.

Where do I send the check?  If you take credit cards, I can do that
too.  :-)

> The configuration for the first series is planned to be 133 Mhz
> CPU, 3 ethernet ports, 32 Mbyte SDRAM and 2 serial ports, and
> complete with a small metal case. Let me know if there's interest
> in other configurations. To see what's possible, take a look at
> the website: http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm

I'd take one or two just like you've mentioned (133MHz, 32MB,
3*Ethernet, metal case).  I assume that this does not come with a
CompactFlash card.  A trip down to the local electronics store is all
that is required to get a CF card these days.  IIRC, there are two
types of CF cards... ones that are actually CF, and ones that have an
ATA-Compatible interface.  Which kind do we actually need, or will
either type work?

Does the board you will be making have both the MiniPCI and the
regular PCI slot on them like the board on the website?  I'm not sure
what MiniPCI is supposed to look like, but the card edge connector
hanging off the left side of the board in the picture on your website
looks like it would be the regular 3.3V PCI slot, right?  Is the area
just below the CompactFlash slot (which looks somewhat like a pad for
a PCMCIA slot) actually where the MiniPCI slot would go?  If so, is
MiniPCI similar to or even compatible with CardBus?  Or is that for an
actual PCMCIA/CardBus slot? :-)

Also, how hard would it be to put 64MB on it?  You might need to put
32MB on all of the units to keep manufacturing costs down, but if it
isn't a big deal to put 64MB on some of them for people who need/want
that much memory, I'll spring for that.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org