Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:02:49 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling fs

At 2:53 PM -0500 2000/4/3, Brennan W Stehling wrote:

>  Are there any efforts to build a journaling filesystem for FreeBSD?  I
>  have read of several for Linux, but none for FreeBSD.

	I would be much more interested in seeing the SGI xfs stuff get
imported into FreeBSD.  IIRC, it is a log-structured journaling
extent-based filesystem with fast directory searching via btrees, and
with the exception of softupdates-like code, I think it's one of the
best filesystems available.  It would be *way* cool if this stuff got
imported.

>  fsck is just so slow, especially when my drives tend to get so much larger
>  than before.  I have a new 30 gigger and running and fsck on that will
>  take a long time.  If it ever falls hard it will take forever to reboot.

	It depends on your particular application, but if you're dealing
with a small number of large files on your filesystem, you can adjust
the inode ratio so that fsck happens in a *much* shorter period of
time.

	IIRC, Joe Greco has a monster USENET news spool (binaries) server
with nine filesystems each about 200GB in size, and the machine takes
less than a minute to go from power-on to being fully operational in
multi-user mode -- including all the necessary fsck passes, etc....
The key thing he did to make fsck run so fast on these filesystems is
to adjust them so that they are tuned for an average file size of
about 2MB.