Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:42:59 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jordan exists

"G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:

> Jordan's existence is beyond reasonable doubt, which means legally he exists.
> I can present two arguments for his existence:
>
> 1. I once received personal email from Jordan. That would not mean much as
> of itself. But the *contents* of that email could not have been conjured
> up by any software except that running inside a human brain.

So you say... but unless you show the contents as proof, this cannot
be considered an "argument".

> 2. The mere lack of existence of Jordan's Witnesses, or any other
> proselytizing group, shows that anyone who claims he/she has actually
> met Jordan in person is telling the truth, as they, obviously, have
> no psychological need to prove it to themselves first. (I never met
> him personally.)

Aha! But you forget that Jordan employs avatars! It seems he usually
prefer an unbearded one (of all things!), but one Karen (responsible
for the daemonatrix) has photos of a bearded one.

> So, why do I go beyond *reasonable* doubt rather than having *absolute*
> certainty? Because there is one tiny detail that may raise small doubts:
> Any photograph I have ever seen that purported to be of Jordan, was
> actually a picture of Keanu Reeves, just touched up to make him look
> younger.

When you factor in that these are just avatars, it all makes sense.
:-)

> BUT! The pictures were touched up under FreeBSD, therefore Jordan exists.

Ah, but the question is much more complicated than that. Does Jordan
exists only while it is running, or it's physical representation on
the disk (or maybe even listings!) is enough for him to "exist"? I
mean, suppose freefall crashed (or wherever Jordan is running on
nowadays), but the source to Jordan still existed, would you say
Jordan itself still existed? And, in this case, what if there are
multiple copies of Jordan? What if it's stored over RAID5? What if
it has been mmapped() with MAP_PRIVATE, and then dirtied and stored
in swap? These and other Jordan questions have busied the minds of
many Jesuits for years!

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Is it true that you're a millionaire's son who never worked a day
in your life?"
	"Yeah, I guess so."
	"Lemme tell you, son, you ain't missed a thing."