Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:28:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        don@partsnow.com, perhaps@yes.no, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > As I remember, the prayer experiment was very well prepared. The
> > pray-ees didn't know they were being prayed for, and the pray-er's
> > didn't know who they were praying for, except a first name and a general
> > description of the problem. The groups were statistically equal, and
> > relatively large. If I remember [too many bosses whizzing past FTL,
> > Amancio], there were a total of 400 in the study.
>
> How can you seperate the telepathy theory from the God theory with this
> set up?
>
> The researchers should have lied about the names, or given only number,
> and/or not stated the symptom(s).

In my feeble mind, I remeber that the only information given was a
'pseudo-name' (to make it somewhat more personal), and the symptoms were
given in order to have the prayers be 'specific'.

> They should also have put two guys named "John" with the same disease
> in the same room, and see if there was preferential healing of one
> "John", or if if there was 50% of the "prayer effect" split between
> the two...

Yeah, I'm sure they had the ability to pick and choose among all sorts
of dieseases and such to make it a truly effective test (NOT!).

Nate