Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 01:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      alex@big.endian.de (Alexander Langer)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18807: No documentation for source upgrades

The following reply was made to PR docs/18807; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: alex@big.endian.de (Alexander Langer)
To: jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:30:40 +0200

 Thus spake jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG (jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG):

 > We do not publish instructions for -STABLE users to update
 > their systems to the next -STABLE release via a source upgrade.
 > "/usr/src/UPDATING" is not for -stable consumption.

 Hmm.
 I'm not sure if I agree.
 The handbook-part of "make world" clearly states, that one should
 read UPDATING to encouter specific problems that can occur while
 updating.

 These information can't be included into the handbook, since the
 handbook applies to all branches and would only waste space.

 That is, what UPDATING is for.

 On the other hand, -stable's UPDATING is kept VERY userfriendly, and I
 really don't see a problem with it.

 Alex

 --
 cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory