Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 07:45:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Rolling Your Own Port"

> > In the section about patching the Makefile, you hard-code a path to
> > /usr/local/.  That's considered bad practice, according to
> > http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/porting-prefix.html .  Just after
>
> I have followed through on all your corrections except this one.  What
> would be the best way to handle this in a diff?

The handbook entry I mentioned says:

   this can often be done by simply replacing the occurrences of
   /usr/local (or /usr/X11R6 for X ports that do not use imake) in the
   various scripts/Makefiles in the port to read PREFIX, as this variable
   is automatically passed down to every stage of the build and install
   processes.

Since you're patching a makefile, that would probably work (I don't have
access to FreeBSD just now to try it).

> I have posted a revised version at the above address.  All the various
> formats are supported.

I took a quick look and noticed something else.  In the part about your
port of Gate, you have a line

	man/man1/gate.1

If you followed the advice of
http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/x58.html#AEN84 you'd instead put a