Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:44:06 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Marc Bouget <mbouget@club-internet.fr>
Subject:   I2C bus

Hi there,

We're about to write Philips semiconductor support for the I2C bus.

Of course, we think about writing something generic for the bus and
specific independent code for different controllers (ISA, parallel...)

If well designed this framework could accept new later developments with
I2C support (ex. hardware monitoring and so on).

The purpose of this mail is to collect:

	1- opinions about the idea
	2- suggestions about the architecture
	3- pratical examples of using such a system

Our plan is to develop a basic I/O driver for an ISA controller with no
bus abstraction (almost ok), then write bus abstraction, a parallel controller
driver to validate bus abstraction, and finally an IP network driver to
validate the system.

Thanks for your contribution.

nicolas

--