Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:01:46 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        "Victor A. Sudakov" <vas@vas.tomsk.su>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP problems.

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Victor A. Sudakov wrote:

> > I'm a sysadmin at an ISP, yes.. and I love people running unix.
> > In fact, I've setup a lot of boxes for people who want to try it out,
> > sadly though its never "Joe Bloggs" type average net user at home.

> Are you sure the user support people from your company are also looking
> forward to it? You are an admin, and you do not work directy with
> customers, do you?

I'm a system administrator that actually HAS contact with most of his
clients. We have about 700 or so .. and its growing, I don't like the idea
of alienating myself from my clients, who I actually see quite a lot of
sometimes IRL :)

> > Yes I agree admins should speak their piece, but they can't HOPE to get
> > anywhere until we have something to back it up. FreeBSD currently is
> > nowhere NEAR user-friendly enough for the Windows-comfortable people at
> > home. We would need something that came with X straight off, possibly wabi
>
> No. The point is different. I am not dreaming of persuading home users to
> trash their windows and install unix. ISPs just should remain compatible
> with clients running unix (sounds sad, doesn't it) and neither use any
> proprietary hardware, protocols, nor conceal any information from customers
> they need to setup a unix system.

Sorry, I was a bit off topic.

Yes, the internet isn't based around lots of Windows machines setting the
'standard'.. if Microsoft don't adhere to the standards set down by the
internet then too fucking bad. Either it talks properly (ie UNIX) they
don't talk at all.

If they get shitty about it.. stick the RFC in their face and say "read
and adhere". If they choose not to.. Well theres the problem. It works
with the majority of their users (ie Windows) so why should they change
anything?

Sad, isn't it.

(I'm all for home users running unix btw :)

--
Adrian Chadd			| "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		|   stupid things because that would