Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 09:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ushida@msa.biglobe.ne.jp
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/19949: The description of /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse is inconsistent with cvsup(1).

>Number:         19949
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       The description of /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse is inconsistent with cvsup(1).
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD olive.localdomain 4.1-RC FreeBSD 4.1-RC #0: Sat Jul 15 08:35:55 JST 2000     root@olive.localdomain:/usr1/obj/usr1/src/sys/WAKANA  i386

An error in writing of the explanation in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse
causes misinterpretation and inconsistency with cvsup(1).
Although cvsup(1) says `There is currently no provision for comments
in refuse files.', in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse:
#You can copy this file to your sup directory and uncomment or add
#whatever you would like.

I propose to change the above two lines in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse to:

#You can copy this file to your sup directory and uncomment or add
#whatever you would like. It should be noted that any comment must be
#removed from refuse files as there is currently no provision for comments.

or add the following lines to /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#CAUTION:Any comment must be removed from refuse files as there is currently
#        no provision for comments.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there are comments in /usr/sup/refuse by mistake caused by the explanation
in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse, the behavior of `cvsup' depends strongly
on the server-defined collection of files and even on the comments.
This is the cause of the delayed finding of this problem. For example,
1. If one uses the whole /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse as /usr/sup/refuse,
   cvsup works for `ports-all' and donsn't work for 'src-all'(no error but
   never update).
2. If one uses the modified /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse where the second
   line from the end of the file
   (#Use this feature with care -- many parts of the src distribution depend)
   are removed, cvsup works for `ports-all' and `src-all'.

Best regards,

Jun Ushida
>How-To-Repeat:
Uses the whole /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse as /usr/sup/refuse.
The command `cvsup' works for `ports-all' and donsn't work for
'src-all'(no error but never update).

>Fix:
Modify /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse as I proposed.