Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:21:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial port problems with 4.0

Hi,

I installed 4.0-RELEASE from CD yesterday, and it all went very well
except for getting dial-up access to work.  I'd had 3.4 on the machine
before and had no problems there, using a 28.8 modem on /dev/cuaa0.  Now,
however, things don't work so good.  I run ppp by hand as root, and at
first it would dial out, connect to my ISP, then never receive the
ogin: prompt.  Now, somehow, not even the Terminal Ready light goes on so
I can't do anything with it.

The serial ports are detected fine on boot.  It was all working normally
two days ago, then half-worked after 4.0 went in, now it doesn't work at
all.  Has anyone else had any similar problems?

Bill