Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:52:55 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960130-SNAP experiences

Jordon,

>> Installing 2.2-960130-SNAP via medium NFS fails during "Commit" phase.
>> I tried installing 6 or 7 times, each dying in one of 2 places.
>
>Hmmm.  I've done several successful NFS installs with this SNAP
>between my two test machines, so I can only conclude it's some weird
>local configuration issue!  Not to say that it's not a bug in
>-current, but I don't think it's anywhere in the installation (for
>once.. :-).

I agree.  Someone suggested that I try setting "NFS slow" option, that I am
overrunning the 8bit 8003 card.  I will try that sometime today and let you
know what happens.  Suggest any other experiments now, b4 I populate the
disk and cannot redo installs...

About the installation, I am using 2 identical disks (hope to use CCD) and
was pleased to see it deal with 2 disks.  However I couldn't get it to use
sd1s1a (ie, a root partition) on the second drive.  It wanted to start with
prtition e, NOT a.  If I let it pick the sizes it did the good thing: abefg.
But assigning each size always started with e!

I just saw something disturbing last nite.  I found that I can
"rsh {any of several 2.1.0-R machines}" <whatever> from the new 2.2-SNAP
but if I "rsh {2.2-SNAP} <whatever> from one of the 2.1-R machines it
always hangs.  For example:

2.1-REL % rsh 2.2-SNAP ls

will do the 'ls', showing me everything in the 2.2-SNAP directory, but will
then be hung, even '^c' won't die, have to kiil from another term.  I can
reproduce this 100% of the time, always the one direction only.  This is
with hardware that has run previous versions of FreeBSD for years.
Any tests I can run for you???

A question, ld.so doesn't like my shared 2.1 executables.  Can I
build a compat21 package, or must all dynamic execs be rebuilt?

Finally, I have been getting truncated "current-digest" mailings, anyone
else seen this?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD