Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:17:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

> Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:
>
> > > gmake is not required to build bash.
> >
> > Really?
>
> The FreeBSD port doesn't depend on gmake. In order to be sure, I just
> build it with no gmake available. No problem. A lot of the GNU world is
> designed to be very portable, that's part of their claim to fame.

Feel free to build gcc; first you will need configure, and gmake,
and bison, and ...

God forbid that you should be able to install one GNU program
with replacing make and yacc with other GNU programs...

> > How do you handle the expansion of an expansion that
> > the current version of configure spits out when processing
> > Makefile.in?
>
> Please be more specific. Where exactly do you perceive a problem?

${${X}}

Replace "X" with whatever the current Makefile.in is causing
configure to spit out today.  If the FreeBSD port has patched
to hack around that restriction, fine.  I could have installed
the thing as a package (binary) and also avoided the issue.  I
wouldn't be able to do a real "make world" if I did that, though.

This is, of course, totally off the point, since if one non-default
UNIX program (e.g. "configure") is required to build the program,
my point is upheld, even if you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt
that you can make it without "gmake" (I can to; I just have to
edit out the expansion of an expansion, which causes Berkeley
make to cough up a hairball).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---