Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Steve <steve@edmweb.com>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> actually.. talk to the telco.. I have heard of phone lines from out of
> local calling area being delievered locally over a T1 line...  of course
> this will cost more than the actually phone lines.. but it saves the cost
> of office space and location...

	Office Space and location isn't the problem since this won't cost
us anything.

> > > FreeBSD has all of the necessary software needed to function as a
> > > terminal server. Hardware and connectivity are the only other tech
> > > issues to worry about. Business issues (marketing, accounting, etc) are
> > > also important.
> >
> > 	What is the maximum modems a multi-port serial card can handle and
> > how many can you put into a box?
>
> well there are many different brands...  Comtrol, Stallion, Cyclades, and
> RISCom all make boards that have drivers for FreeBSD...  Stallion has a PCI
> card supporting 64 ports off one card...  with something like this smart
> board it's more or of a question of how much cpu power you put under the
> hood on the number of ports you can support...

	I always thought RICom was more of a High Speed Serial Card
to make a FreeBSD box a router or something.

> I run a mini terminal server (it's even diskless) and it's a 486/33dx
> w/ a couple AST compatible boards...  works great...  I've hacked mgetty
> to pieces to support various functions...  but as Danny said.. the
> default getty now supports autoppp detection...

	That's good to know, how much did a box like hat cost you?

> hope it goes well...  I've thought about starting a local isp too... one
> that actually provides good service to the more enlighted *grin*... but
> startup capital is my problem...

	How much startup capital are we talking about?  I can see you're
in Oregon so competition shouldn't be that bad there.

> hope it goes well for your friend...  ttyll

	Thanks.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]