Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:29:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, itojun@iijlab.net, mike@smith.net.au, core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new config

> >> 	5. Delete files no longer needed on the MFS to preserve RAM
> >>
> >Alternative approach: mount the traditional root filesystem
> >on /, and the config-filesystem on /stand or something like.
>
> That would take more magic, which doesn't buy us any advantage
> that I can see.  There even is a performance gain in having
> the / directory live in ram.

One thing that would buy something is to mount an fs that looks like:

	/
		/dev

On /, end then union mount the actual root on /, leaving the devfs
exposed through the union.

The / directory would be in RAM, but it would be in RAM in the devfs
hierarchy.

This would also reduce the init complexity, since init should not
be responsible for the devfs mounts anyway.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.