Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 07:51:10 -0500
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated....doc@freebsd.org

Thanks to Andrew for the "install second disk" methodology, I just
have a couple of questions.

Since the "visual fdisk" part of sysinstall is so much easier to use
than the CLI fdisk, why shouldn't the "visual disklabel" part of
sysinstall be the standard way to BSD partition a slice?  I remember
that I did this once, perhaps with 2.0R, does it no longer work?  Or
is it just that you should (have to?) re-define the mount points for
your existing partiions?  Perhaps sysinstall should read fstab and
offer its mounts as a default?

I know that Jordan is working hard on sysinstall, is one of the design
goals to make it more modular enabling use of the fdisk/disklabel
parts as separate utilities?  If not, perhaps this mode could be
enabled wth a command line switch, e.g. 'sysinstall -fdisk', and/or
'sysinstall -disklabel', reducing the "noise" of the other parts of
sysinstall?  Perhaps the disk to be added could be an argument to a
switch?

Also, if one does not have 'options gzip' in the kernel, is gunzip'ing
the sysinstall program and then running it a viable option?  If so,
perhaps mentioning it might make the neophyte's job easier, I know
many are reluctant to do kernel rebuilds or don't have the kernel
sources installed.

Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>