Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 10:59:50 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

> It has to work the way it works now, e.g. you should be able to just
> walk into /dev (and that could be one of many incarnations of `dev',
> remember) and futz with permissions or "delete" device entries you
> don't want to be present for security reasons, and that information
> should stay there across mounts.

FYI...I think Solaris 2.x does this with some sort of special flag at the
boot prompt.  Maybe there could be a '-r' switch (I THINK that's what they
use) to force regeneration of the device file entries?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org