Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:41:27 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk partitions

At 06:04 PM 10/6/99 -0400, you wrote:

>[good point, snipped]
>
>Isn't there something about FAT** partitions having to be in the first
>sectors of the disk?
>
>I seem to remember that putting Win** anywhere else than at the first
>cylinder was bad, I don't remember why.
>
>Anyways...
>
>Ants.

If ever there was such a requirement, it is no longer applicable.  Some
(all?) off the various incantations of Windows need to boot < 1024 cyl
boundary (usually 8 GB), but they are happy in any slice.  IIRC, they do
have problems booting to anything other than primary master for IDE.

FWIW, BSL (http://bsl.comart.com.pl) is a very capable boot manager.  It is
cardware/shareware depending in how much functionality you want.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com