Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 13:07:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, julian@ref.tfs.com, terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> It seems that Poul-Henning Kamp said:
> > I want to be able to define a policy for permissions in /dev, and no
> > form is more unix-like and suitable than
> >
> > 	chmod 644 tty*
> > 	chown root.dev disk/*
>
> We could  use something analog  to  the mtree  description files for  /devs
> entries...

And you could "save" the current settings to the database in an
"rc.shutdown" or some similar method.

Or by making a daemon that makes a "get event" call to the devfs and
returns on each chmod, etc. and makes the change immediately, in case
you don't shut down cleanly.

The point is, that this is a solvable problem, and you don't need to
delay devfs deployment until after it is solved just because someone
might want to someday need the soloution for some bogus legacy app.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.