Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:24:21 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Lopes <alopes@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unsolicited email (Security Notifications)

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:19:45AM +1000, Adam Lopes said:

Hello Adam,

> Recently, I have been receiving several emails daily, containing
> security notifications for the FreeBSD operating system. I am not
> subscribed to any of your mailing lists, nor do I own or operate and
> computer systems running this OS, nor am I otherwise associated with do
> with Free BSD.

It sounds like you are subscribed either to the freebsd-announce or
security-announce mailing list.

> I have attempted to unsubscribe from this mailing list several times,
> only to be faced with a response stating that I am not subscribed to the
> list.

We don't send security notifications.

The sure way to find out which mailing lists you are subscribed to is to
send an email to majordomo@FreeBSD.org, with the word "which" (minus the
quotes) in both the subject and the message body.
Do not include anything else in the messages.

Within the minute you should receive a message back from the list manager
software to tell you which lists at FreeBSD.org you are subscribed to, and
then you can unsubscribe from those ones (as I say, it doesn't sound like
you are subscribed to the doc@ list).

and include the message that you received back from majordomo@FreeBSD.org.

> Sorry to trouble you, but could you please remove me from any
> distribution lists you operate. If this is not possible for whatever
> reason, I would be interested to know how (and for what reason) I am
> receiving these messages. Although the messages can be easily filtered,
> I would appreciate being removed from this mailing list at your earliest
> convenience

I'm afraid we're not the right people, but if you follow the steps above
then you'll get unsubcribed - we don't want to spam anyone.

Thanks,

Ceri