Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:51:05 +0300
From:      Darius Ramanauskas <dara@alpha.kada.lt>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@homer.duff-beer.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT4.0 SP3 and Samba

Hi,

Scot Elliott wrote:

> Hi... I've just installed service pack 3 on my NT4 workstation, and
> suddenly I can't use any of my FreeBSD Samba shares.  They work fine
> on
> version before sp3.   The error NT gives is 'Account is not allowed
> access from this host' or some such similarity.
>
> Seeing as I haven't changed my Samba setup, I would assume this is an
> NT
> bug?  Anyone got any ideas?

The Service Pack 3 Documentation Section 3.6 reads:

: Connecting to SMB servers (such as Samba and LAN Manager for UNIX)
: with an unencrypted (plain text) password fails after upgrading to
: Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3. This is because the SMB redirector
: in Service Pack 3 handles unencrypted passwords differently than
: previous versions of Windows NT. Beginning with Service Pack 3, the
: SMB redirector will not send an unencrypted password unless you add
: a registry entry to enable unencrypted passwords. For information
: on how to modify the registry, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base
: at http://www.microsoft.com/kb/ for the following article: Q166730.
: This article also contains information on how to change the
: Service Pack setup process so that unencrypted passwords are
: enabled after the Service Pack is installed.

However, Article Q166730 does NOT exist (at least I did not find it) on
http://www.microsoft.com/kb/

But here is the registry entry necessary:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

Bye

Darius