Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:47:11 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 03:41:22PM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> You are a complete prick.

Whoa there. You are bang out of order here my friend. You may have a
difference of opinion with one or more others on the list, but
descending to personal abuse is unacceptable so please refrain from
such behaviour.

> Many people have agreed that there is a
> conflict in the documentation.  I am not going to try to justify my
> actions for you.  There is no point.
>
> You are an angry person and your comments are not constructive in any way.
> Other people have expressed their frustration that the documentation is
> sparse and that the UPDATING file which was empty for so long suddenly
> becomes a key component to the build process.

Which UPDATING? The one in 3.x will probably be empty, the one in 4.x
most certainly isn't. The one on my machine, last cvsup'd about a week
ago, contains entries going back to 19981118.

> If you cannot recognize that as a problem, you can piss off.  I do not
> need to read the negative comments of a complete prick.

See above.

> Through my comments a few people have decided to put some effort into
> improving documentation and I am going to help in that effort.
>
> These efforts will result in a new site, greasydaemon.com.
>
> Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
> projects: www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com
>
> fortune:
> Atlee is a very modest man.  And with reason.
> 		-- Winston Churchill
>
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> >
> > > Once again I get flamed.
> > >
> > > I am not saying I did not screw up the install.  That is obvious, but the
> > > documentation did not give any warning that the 4.0 upgrade would not work
> > > as the ugprades from any of the 3.x upgrades did.  I realize 4.0 has many
> > > radical changes, that is why I looked so hard to find more documentation
> > > on the site.
> >
> > 	And totally ignored the warnings you did see on the documentation
> > you did find.
> >
> > > I was subscribed to freebsd-announce and did not see anything on that list
> > > to offer warning.
> >
> > 	Because that's not the list for that type of subject matter.
> >
> > > The makeworld.html page has side notes for 2.2.5, but nothing for the
> > > current and stable versions.  It just makes sense to me that any important
> > > changes would be reflect on that page.  Afterall, it is the official
> > > FreeBSD handbook while the mailing list may not offer accurate help.
> >
> > 	Your logic is flawed.
> >
> > > In the future I think I will stick to reading online documentation and
> > > avoid the mailing lists.
> >
> > 	Which will guarantee that you will have additional problems, and
> > continue to point the finger of blame at others when viable solutions are
> > available to you.
> >
> > Doug
> > --
> >     "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
> > existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.
> >     The master simply replied, "Mu."

   Beam me up Scottie, there's no intelligent life down here