Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:39:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

Terry Lambert writes:
> > I disagree that humans are a non-predictable system.  There is chaos,
> > sure, but there are clearly predictable properties.  Which information
> > people have is one; health is another.  (Discussed below)
>
> The entire history of science is the conversion of "chaotic" systems
> into predictable systems.

Now your being way too general.  Science is the attempt to 'model' the
behavior of complex systems.  If you think that 'chaotic' == 'complex'
then yes, but some systems are inherently chaotic and can not be
modeled.

> The only thing that chaos truly describes
> is that for which we have yet to derive a predictive model.

And some systems are entirely chaotic, and so therefore have *NO*
predictive model.  Especially systems that involve innovations and
unique thought cannot be modeled, since any system which can create
something new can easily be proven to not be modeled.

Nate