Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18379: Information on SSH hard to find in Handbook

The following reply was made to PR docs/18379; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, bobj@atlantic.net
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:10:22 +0100

 > Description
 >
 >      The FreeBSD Handbook (as of 3 May 00) at
 >      http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ does not list SSH in the Table
 >      of Contents, although other security tools such as SSL are in the
 >      TOC.  This makes it difficult for someone reading the Handbook to
 >      locate information on SSH, even though the information is there.
 >
 > How-To-Repeat
 >
 >      Read the Table of Contents for the Handbook.  Also look at
 >      Section 8.3, "Securing FreeBSD" (including its subsections), and
 >      note that it contains a fair amount of information on SSH.
 >
 > Fix
 >
 >      Although a complete solution would require re-writing part of the
 >      handbook, an adequate interim solution would be to rename Section
 >      8.3 from "Securing FreeBSD" to "Securing FreeBSD: SSH and Other
 >      Tools" (or some similar title that mentions SSH).

 I think Nik (and maybe other docproj people) are looking at indexing
 the Handbook so you could just lookup "ssh" there.  Adding "SSH" to
 the title seems like a bit of a special case hack, and it shouldn't be
 too difficult to find, since people looking for "ssh" will probably be
 at least vaguely interested in the whole "Security" section anyway.
 Perhaps someone else has thoughts on this?

 If you want to break up that section into two parts, one about SSH, and
 one about the other stuff already covered, that might be better. :-)

 --
 Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
 FreeBSD Documentation Project /