Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:24:46 +0000
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Ken <webweaver@rmci.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Stripe Size

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 03:32:56PM -0700, Ken wrote:
> Greets:
>
> Vinum simple config uses 256k stripe sizes.  However, the examples in _The
> Complete FBSD_ and Greg's web pages use 512k stripe size.  It doesn't
> appear that this will make a whole lot of difference one way or the other,
> but I am curious about what others are using.  This application is for
> stripped mirror on four 9GB drives.
>
> Thanks for your output-- Ken

It depend on your application, how much reading to writing , size of reads/
writes, sequential or randon?

Also with an even number of spindles and non sequential access you may want to
stripe at the size of the cylinder group to avoid concentrating 'bookkeeping'
information on the first spindle. (see section 8.2 of The design and
imlimentation of 4.4 BSD)

THere are a number of other ways to avid this search for threads on stripe size involving myself and Greg Lehey.

GeoffB