Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:46:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ETinc's Bandwidth limiter

>> There is no "fair routing" in a web farm unless everyone pays the same
>> price, which is ridiculous. Charge based on their bandwidth access
>> capability..
>> and with the bandwidth manager there is not accounting headaches 'cause
>> they cant get more than they pay for.
>
>Dennis, this sounds like an overstatement. Fair does not necessarily
>mean 'all equals', there can be different weights for different
>users depending on how much they pay for, and the fairness is in
>making everyone get what he pays for.  Hard limiting the bw for
>each user as you seem to suggest prevents eveyone from taking
>advantage of statistical multiplexing, which, given the burstiness
>of network traffic, is very rewarding for all.

Exactly. There are a whole host of ways I can fairly happily limit each
hosts bandwidth if I'm not bothered by these limits being "soft". The aim
of the game is to be able to confidently offer a minimum level of service
(which they can specify and thus pay for) but let people make more out of
it if they can.

Manar