Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:13:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Neal <neal@pernet.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TS Holy War (was Re: Some advice needed.)

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Neal wrote:

> My general impression of Annex has been a screamed NO.  But bear in mind
> that's just an impression.

	Hmm, any reasoning behind this though?

> Now, a couple little thoughts just from me:
>
> 1:If you're strapped for cash, don't even try to start.  You need to be
>   able to count on anywhere from $100,000-300,000 to run.

	Does it really take that much?  How does the money break down?

> 2:As odd as this sound, make friends with the phone company.  We get ISDN
>   B channels for $13/month.  Do you think they would have "found" this
>   tariff if I was pissed at them?

	Doesn't it actually cost for incoming for ISDN lines?

> 3:Decide what you want to do beforehand.  If you WANT to be a big-1000
>   line ISP, go ahead and start with a PM3 or MAX or whatever you decide
>   on.  But if you are going to stay small and don't think you can afford
>   $14000 for 48 analog lines, look into a BSD box or something equivilant.

	Hmmm, what about if you wanted to start out small and then expand
as business grows?

> 4:Avoid telebit like the plague.  If you talk to uunet, they'll try and
>   sell you one.  Don't buy.  I speak from experience.

	Hmmm, you're talking about the router or the terminal server or
their modems?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]