Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:25:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, Paul Southworth <pauls@locust.etext.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashes with 6x86L-P200+

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >Sounds like the usual problem with those CPUs... Heat.  You need to keep
> >them cool, because they generate a *LOT* of heat.  I have a *good* (ie. PC
> [...]
> >something.  (The regulator probably has a BARELY adequate heatsink for
> >the -200 chip...  It sucks a LOT of current, which might make the extra
> >fan a really good idea.)
>
> All the Cyrix chips I've seen come with a Cyrix-approved heat sink/fan
> combo.  Cyrix got some flak for sending out chips that would fail with
> no-name heat sinks and fans.  They are using large heat sinks with
> fans that spin faster than "normal" cheapo fans.  They do this so they
> can ship out chips that run hotter at the higher speeds, by
> guaranteeing the provided heat sink/fan will keep the chip from
> burning up.

We use an aftermarket fan that uses ballbearings instead f sleave
bearings on our Cyrix chips, so it has an increased lifespan.  It also
has a slightly larger blade surface, and keeps the chip cooler than the
cyrix fan.  Though recently we've gone to the AMD K5's.  They are cheaper,
cooler, and outperform both Cyrix and Intel.

Jamie Bowden

Network Administrator, TBI Ltd.