Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:53:47 -3000 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS mounts on NT with Hummingbird Maestro

Scott Blachowicz stated:
> Except that my experience as a developer is that we tend to try to work
> on the oldest version of the OS that are customers are likely to have
> on the theory that whatever we build on version N will work on versions
> N+1 and N+2 :-( and not necessarily the other way around.

Do you actually develop UNIX applications?  Certainly not during the
Sun-sponsored "upgrade to Slowlaris 2.0" fiasco.  You couldn't do this
with Solaris 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2, because they kept making all this
incompatible upgrades between revisions, and NOBDOY was dumb enough
to stay on 2.0 or 2.2 for longer than it took them to slide the CD-ROM
into the drive.

Your strategy is partially useful on HP-UX, if you don't mind a 15%
performance hit (running 9.0x apps on 10.0x).  It doesn't work well
on AIX, where contrary to IBM marketing claims, most 3.1.x apps are
useless on 3.2.x.

And you though upgrading from FreeBSD 2.1.7 to 2.2.2 was tough!  ;^)