Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 22:05:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp6475.on.bellglobal.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, don@PartsNow.com, perhaps@yes.no, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> OTOH, I don't claim to know God's mind (if he exists).  He might
> refuse to participate in such a complex experiment, thinking it shows
> a lack of faith.

You could take that a little bit farther to a Biblical view.

"Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."

[Well, people always seem to think that passages quoted from the
KJV are more Biblical, but perhaps the NIV would make the point
clearer... ;]

"Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

Be careful of what one is testing...  It may be spiritual, but it
may perhaps not be God...

But, of course, if we can't test it, then it can't be disproven.
Perhaps that is why you can't test it?  No.  Testing leads to
prediction leads to manipulation.  The tail shall not wag the
dog.   Where proof is necessary, proof shall be given (if not
always received).

"If God makes me win $1 000 000 in the lottery tomorrow, then I
will believe in him forever more."

[next day]

"But only if I win another $1 000 000..."

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names