Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:28:41 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        Rick Gray <rickg@nwpros.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/daily

Rick Gray wrote:

> It's me again.
>
> I've been getting this error message of not having the cleaning of / in
> /etc/daily enabled. How do you enable it? I've looked at /etc/daily and
> still confused.

You can enable it by uncommenting (removing the pound signs from) the 4
lines of code following the warning message.  Thus it would look like this:

# This is not safe, you need to decide what is appropriate for your
# system. Leave a warning note for now.
#echo "You did not enable the cleaning of / in /etc/daily!"
#
find / ! -fstype local -a -prune -o \
        \( -name '[#,]*' -o -name '.#*' -o -name a.out -o -name *.core \
        -o -name '*.CKP' -o -name '.emacs_[0-9]*' \) \
                -a -atime +3 -exec rm -f -- {} \;

Note that I've also commented out the warning.

> BTW--what exactly does this do?

It removes core files, editor temp files, and various other clutter-up-
your-filesystem type files that are over 3 days old.

As the warning states, this is not 100% safe.  In fact the version
in -current says:

  # This is a security hole, never use 'find' on a public directory
  # with -exec rm -f as root.  This can be exploited to delete any file
  # on the system.

You may wish to search the archives for a further description of this
security hole.

Alex