Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:55:52 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Doug <Doug@gorean.org> writes:
> > On 27 Jul 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > > It's buggy
> >
> >       How and where?
>
> Most prominently, it suffers from the same globbing bugs (well,
> they're documented, so I guess they're features now) as every other
> Bourne shell out there (specifically, if no files match a given
> pattern, the pattern is left unexpanded. Real Shells [tm] issue an
> error.)

	IIRC that's a POSIX thing, but you can also adjust that behavior with
various options. In any case, it's not a bug. It's a feature that you don't
like.

> >       What features specifically do you recommend that we look at other
> > than those two, and how do they differ from bash? I'm willing to give
> > another shell a look, but "Use this, it's better" isn't a convincing
> > argument for me. :)
>
> Better scripting contructs. Multiple selectable scripting syntaxes
> (even csh syntax, if you absolutely must). Built-in test with -nt, -ot
> etc. operators (like NetBSD's test(1)). Advanced variable expansion.
> Very advanced globbing, which includes selecting files based on their
> types, selecting only part of the names of the selected files,
> excluding files which match a specific pattern, etc. Programmable
> completion which can for instance be configured to complete arguments
> to common commands, e.g. package names for pkg_info or pkg_delete, CVS
> commands for cvs, user names for chown. More flexible prompt. A
> startup script sequence you can actually understand (why the h* won't
> bash read .bashrc if the shell is a login shell?). A large number of
> options which allow one to fine-tune completion behaviour, scripting
> syntax, globbing behaviour, and bug compatibility with other shells.
> Autoloading of functions when they're invoked. Builtin scheduler. Tons
> of other stuff.

	I addressed some of those in my previous post. Once again, programmable
completion is on its way. 'test' is a built-in, not sure about those flags,
what do they do? What does the zsh prompt do that bash's doesn't? My
experience is that it's very flexible. My prompt has xterm escapes and
changes color when I su. As for the startup sequence, I don't have any
problems with it... my .bashrc file starts every time I want it to. :) I
also don't regard "bug compatibility" as a feature, but reasonable minds
can differ on this.

Doug
PS, you seem to have [san.]rr.com blocked from your mailserver at yes.no
for spam. rr.com is the road runner cable modem network, and while there
are individual aberrations it is generally not a spam haven.