Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 14:21:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> I think that *not* requiring the implementation of the persistance
> facility (think netbooting, again) prior to deployment of a mandatory
> devfs is a *major* incentive to cause the feature to be added by the
> people who feel they need it.  The lag on the developement of the
> ability to save "boot -c" data after "boot -c" was implemented was not
> an inherently bad thing.

But -c was never a critical part of the system, and certainly not
*mandatory*.  I remain unconvinced by your arguments, I'm afraid.

I don't think that devfs should ever be *mandatory* until the current
semantics, which are known even if not necessarily loved by a
generation of UNIX hackers, are preserved.  Let's make it optional,
sure, but mandatory?  In its proposed form?  You've got to be
kidding.

					Jordan