Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:06:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Chris Avis <c.avis@rama.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IOS/SHiva's SpiderSoftware

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Chris Avis wrote:

> Could someone who knows what this interface looks like/
> behaves post a quick description to the group. I'm not
> sure what is being proposed here.

I don't know it, but here's what I want to do.

I'd like to have some kind of command-line interface which would allow for
complete configuration of a {pico,Free}BSD box.

I don't mind if we end up with totally incompatible layout of config file
(note: a single file, not a bunch of scripties), as long as we have some
generic enough tool to either convert it to the standard ones, or to
perform the task of bringing up the system itself, basing on this
description.

Since I'm pretty familiar with the Cisco's IOS, this was the first example
that came to my mind. I'm certainly open for other models, as long
as they provide for:

* consistent structure, and view of the system properties
* ease of use, and possible customization
* programmability
* ability to perform automated tasks

I'm asking for much, I know, but we can evaluate various candidates... For
a full-fledged system someone proposed to use LDAP, but for embedded
applications it's a total overkill - we need something even more
light-weight ;-)

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"