Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:54:52 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: @Home Connect.

David Kott <dakott@home.com> probably said:
> That seems odd to me.  My roommate and I share the same cable modem.  We
> are not proxied as each of us have a distinct, and static IP.  @Home
> allows us to purchase additional IPs (up to 3 per household) to add
> additional computers.
> The modem is a Mot. Cybersurfer Wave.

> Perhaps there is an ability to configure the cable modem we have remotely
> at the service head to allow multiple MAC addresses on the same segment?
> The modem would have to cache this configuration in something
> non-volatile as I have cycled the power on it several times.
>
> Also, I see ARP requests bouncing off my NIC (and presumably my
> roommates).  This seems to suggest that most of the MAC level filtering,
> if you will, is done at the upstream router, and not necessarily in the
> cable modem itself.

The LANCity cable modem that my mediaone connection uses can filter on
a set number of outgoing MAC addresses.

The basic number is one, so if you use one machine a second machine
will behave as described - it's packets get dropped in the bit
bucket at the cable modem. I've tested this.

The multiple IP beta program mediaone is running with a small number
of people around here increases that number and they reprogram the
cable modem to allow more MAC addresses. This isn't usually a problem
at that level since they also use DHCP (dynamic IP, static DNS) so
if you want to use another network card you have to change the
registered MAC address.

I'd assume other cable providers do similar things if their cable
modem model can filter MAC addresses and if you've only bought one MAC
address you only get one MAC address.

P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu