Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:21:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, perhaps@yes.no, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > > I disagree that humans are a non-predictable system.  There is chaos,
> > > sure, but there are clearly predictable properties.  Which information
> > > people have is one; health is another.  (Discussed below)
> >
> > The entire history of science is the conversion of "chaotic" systems
> > into predictable systems.
>
> Now your being way too general.  Science is the attempt to 'model' the
> behavior of complex systems.  If you think that 'chaotic' == 'complex'
> then yes, but some systems are inherently chaotic and can not be
> modeled.

"Perfectly Random" doesn't exist.  Mostly because not only time and
energy is quantized, but because space is quantized, as well.

> > The only thing that chaos truly describes
> > is that for which we have yet to derive a predictive model.
>
> And some systems are entirely chaotic, and so therefore have *NO*
> predictive model.

You're free to subscribe to this belief, but all of the empirical
evidence I've seen contradicts you.  8-).

> Especially systems that involve innovations and unique thought
> cannot be modeled, since any system which can create something new
> can easily be proven to not be modeled.

So it's impossible to build an artificial intelligence?  Now you
are arguing for the existance of something outside the self that
makes humans unique from their underlying atom-based finite state
automatons, such that constructing a similar automaton is impossible.

I have a hard time accepting that without evidence.  I hypothesize
that the only thing that makes a human being unique is locality
of self.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---